Dr Mindia Vashakmadze
Senior Research Fellow (Asia & Europe)
Other Activities and Research Interests
Public International Law, Human Rights, International Humanitarian Law, Comparative Constitutional Law, Justice and Security Sector Reform
Professional and Academic Background
1/2013 Senior Research Fellow, Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law
11/2012 Co-organiser of the Conference on Administrative Law and Practice in Iraq, Erbil (Iraq)
Since 7/2012 Co-organiser of the Conference on Federalism in Iraq in Heidelberg (Germany)
6/2012–6/2013 Legal expert, Reviewing the security sector legislation of Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Georgia, Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF)
5/2012–12/2012 Research Fellow, Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law
5/2012–12/2012 Expert for the Institute’s Iraq project
5/2012–9/2013 Expert for the Institute’s EU-funded capacity development projects in Turkmenistan (Strengthening the capacity of the Civil Service Academy of Turkmenistan)
Since 5/2012 Expert for the Institute’s Kyrgyzstan project aiming at strengthening the rights of women, children and disabled persons
4/2012–5/2012 Legal expert, Human Rights and armed forces in Tajikistan, Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF)
10/2010–5/2012 Lecturer, Institute of International and European Law, University of Göttingen (Germany)
6/2010–7/2010 Human rights expert, ‘Strengthening the national capacity of Turkmenistan to promote and protect human rights’, The EU programme jointly implemented with UNDP and OHCHR, UNDP Turkmenistan
11/2009–4/2010 Legal analyst, Transparency International Georgia, National Integrity System (NIS) Assessment
9/2009–3/2010 Adjunct Assistant Professor, Tbilisi State University (Georgia)
9/2009–8/2010 Visiting Fellow, European University Institute (EUI)
1/2009–7/2009 Legal expert, drafting a guidebook on military justice, Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), published in English and Arabic
11/2008–4/2009 Adjunct Assistant Professor, James Madison University (Florence, Italy campus)
9/2008–8/2009 Max Weber Postdoctoral Fellow, European University Institute (EUI)
10/2007–12/2007 UNDP short-term human rights consultant, providing assistance to the Georgian Public Defender’s Office, co-drafted recommendations on how to enhance the role of ombudsman institutions in security sector oversight, UNDP Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS
7/2007–6/2009 Consultant, Security sector reform in Palestine, Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), DCAF Ramallah, several short-term assignments in Ramallah (occupied Palestinian territory)
4/2007–9/2008 Research and Teaching Fellow, Institute of International and European Law, University of Göttingen (Germany)
3/2007–6/2007 Consultant, Security sector reform in Indonesia, Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), two short-term assignments in Jakarta (Indonesia)
3/2007–4/2007 Short-term consultant, USAID/Georgia rule of law proposal, Checchi and Company Consulting
1/2007 Doctoral degree in Law with a thesis in Public International Law, Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich (Germany) (final result “summa cum laude”), Supervisor: Prof Dr Georg Nolte
3/2004–9/2004 Analyst, Implications of the EU Neighborhood Policy in Georgia, Latvian Institute of International Affairs (LAI), (Latvia) drafting a book chapter on this issue
12/2003–4/2005 Consultant, Security sector reform in Georgia, Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), analysing the legal framework for security sector governance in Georgia
12/2000 Master’s degree in International and Comparative Constitutional Law (with distinction), University of Göttingen (Germany)
6/1998 Diploma in International Law (with distinction), Tbilisi State University (Georgia)
11/1996–9/1999 Part-time teaching assignments at Tbilisi State University and the Diplomacy Academy of the Georgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Georgia)
10/1996–10/2000 Legal Expert, Committee on Foreign Relations, Parliament of Georgia (Georgia)
6/1996 Law degree (with distinction), Tbilisi State University (Georgia)
1995–1999 Founding member and project collaborator of the Georgian Young Lawyers' Association (GYLA)
- Защита прав детей, женщин и лиц с ограниченными возможностями здоровья в суде: возможные коллизии, пробелы и пути их решения (Информационно-аналитический обзор международных стандартов и законодательства Кыргызской Республики), Protecting the rights of children, women and disabled persons (analysing international standards and the Kyrgyz legislation), Edited with Chynara Musabekova, Bishkek 2013 (project funded by the European Union).
- Security sector legislation in the Kyrgyz Republic – A Review (in Kyrgyz and Russian), Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), Geneva 2013. More information
- Security Sector Legislation in the Republic of Tajikistan – A Review (in Russian and Tajik), Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), Geneva 2013. More information
- Secrecy vs. openness. Counterterrorism and the role of the German Federal Constitutional Court. In: Cole, David/ Fabbrini, Federico/Vadaschi, Arianna (eds): Secrecy, National Security and the Vindication of Constitutional Law. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham 2013, pp 44–56.
- A more proactive European Court of Human Rights? General and individual measures for violations of Article 6(1) of the ECHR – Case of Oleksandr Volkov v. Ukraine (Application No 21722/11) Judgment of 9 January 2013. In: South Caucasus Law Journal, Vol. 4/2013, pp 241–245. (published in English and Russian)
- Responsibility to protect. In: Simma, Bruno/Khan, Daniel-Erasmus/Nolte, Georg/ Paulus, Andreas (eds): The Charter of the United Nations. A Commentary. Vol 1, 3rd edition, Oxford University Press, Oxford 2012, pp 1201–1236.
- Shared responsibility for the prevention of genocide? SHARES Research Paper 14, 2012. Document
- European Court of Human Rights: Makharadze and Sikharulidze v. Georgia (App. No 35254/07) ECtHR Judgment of 22 November 2011, South Caucasus Law Journal, Vol 3, 2012, pp 258–260. (published in English and Russian)
- Der Terrorismus und das Völkerrecht: Aktuelle Herausforderungen. In: Spencer, Alexander/Kocks, Alexander/Harbrich, Kai (eds), Terrorismusforschung in Deutschland. Sonderband der Zeitschrift für Außen- und Sicherheitspolitik (ZfAS), 2011, pp. 48–75.
- “Nothing but a road towards secession”. The International Court of Justice’s Advisory Opinion on Accordance with International Law of the Unilateral Declaration of Independence in Respect of Kosovo. (with Matthias Lippold) In: Goettingen Journal of International Law, Vol 2, No. 2/2010, pp 619–647.
- National Security Courts: A European Perspective In: Pace International Law Review (OP), Vol 1, No 4, April 2010, pp 137–160.
- Asymmetrical war and the notion of armed conflict. A tentative conceptualization. (with Andreas Paulus) In: International Review of the Red Cross, Vol 91, No 873, 2009, pp 95–125.
- The Applicability of International Humanitarian Law to “Transnational” Armed Conflicts, EUI Working Papers, European University Institute (EUI), Florence 2009. Document
- Understanding Military Justice: A Guidebook, Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), Geneva 2009. (published in English, Arabic and Tajik)
- Commentary on the Police Act of Nepal; on the Local Administration Act; on the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities, and the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Ordinance; on the Nepal Treaty Act; on the Provisions Concerning Private Security Guards. In: Phuyal, Hari/Urscheler, Marlene (eds): The Security Sector Legislation of the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal. Commentaries. Brambauer Publishers, Hungary 2009, pp 71–92.
- Parliamentary Consent to the Use of German Armed Forces Abroad. The 2008 Decision of the Federal Constitutional Court in the AWACS/Turkey Case. (with Helmut Aust) In: German Law Journal, Vol 9, No 12, 2008, pp 2223–2236.
- Die Stationierung fremder Truppen im Völkerrecht und ihre demokratische Kontrolle. Eine Untersuchung unter besonderer Berücksichtigung Georgiens. Schriften zum Völkerrecht (SVR), Vol 184, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2008.
- Parliamentary Control Over the Use of Armed Forces Against Terrorism. (with Andreas Paulus) In: Defence of the Separation of Powers. In: Netherlands Yearbook of International Law, Vol 38, 2007, pp. 113–161.
- Democracy and Security. The Legal Framework of Security Sector Governance. In: Fluri, Philipp/Cole, Eden (eds): From Revolution to Reform. Georgia’s Struggle with Democratic Institution Building and Security Sector Reform. Vienna/Geneva 2005, pp 29–50.
- The Role of the Military in Elections, Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), Working Paper N 159, Geneva 2005.
- Durchsetzung des humanitären Völkerrechts in Georgien (Implementation of International Humanitarian Law in Georgia), Humanitäres Völkerrecht. Informationsschriften/Journal of International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict, Vol 17, No 4, 2004, pp 234–241.
- The EU and Russian Hegemony in Georgia. In: Lejiņš, Atis (ed): An Enlarged Europe and its Neighbourhood Policy. The Eastern Dimension. Latvian Institute of International Affairs, Riga 2004, pp 93–112. (published in English and Latvian).
- Lecture at Bandung Institute of Technology, Bandung (Indonesia), 19 June 2007, Democratic control of intelligence agencies in the former Soviet Republics
- Workshop on security sector reform in Indonesia, organized by the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) in cooperation with FES Indonesia Office, Jakarta (Indonesia), Mar. 2007, delivering presentations on military justice systems from a comparative perspective
- Workshop on security sector reform in Indonesia, organized by the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) in cooperation with FES Indonesia Office, Jakarta (Indonesia), June 2007, delivering presentations on security sector reform and military judiciary
- Department of Law Seminars, European University Institute (EUI), Florence (Italy), 23 Oct. 2008, Parliamentary control over the use of armed forces against terrorism
- EU Law Working Group Seminars, European University Institute (EUI), Florence (Italy), 16 Dec. 2008, The European Neighbourhood Policy: security through democracy?
- Georgien: ein Krieg ohne Sieger? Organized by the Demokratische Aktion Fachschaft (DAF), University of Goettingen, 6 Nov. 2008, Panellist, discussing international legal aspects of the Russian-Georgian war of August 2008
- Workshop on military justice organized by the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), Ramallah (occupied Palestinian territory), 1–2 Dec. 2008, Military courts and special tribunals: a human rights perspective
- Guest lecture, Faculty of Law, Humboldt University Berlin, 28 Jan. 2009, The Russian-Georgian war 2008: an international law perspective
- 2nd Annual International Human Rights Conference: Promotion of Democratic Values and Compliance with Human Rights in the Activities of Special Services, Kyiv (Ukraine), 24 Apr. 2009, National security and human rights: norms and practices in a democratic society
- The Future of Europeanization. European Policies in the Making, Max Weber Program and James Madison University – Graduate Symposium, European University Institute (EUI), Florence (Italy), 8 June 2009, Panellist
- Fair Trial Guarantees in Military Justice, Workshop on Military justice organized by the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF), 15–16 June 2009, Geneva (Switzerland), Panellist; delivering a presentation on military justice systems from a comparative and international law perspective
- Invited lecture series, Institute for Advanced Studies, IMT Lucca, 25 June 2009, Lucca (Italy), The normative role of international organizations in promoting democratic civil-military relations
- Conference - Challenge of Carl Schmitt: Human Rights, Humanitarianism and International Law, European University Institute (EUI), 29–30 June 2009, Florence (Italy), Co-organizer and panellist
- Symposium - National Security across Globe, Pace Law School, 13 Nov. 2009, New York (USA), National Security Courts: a European Perspective
- Monday seminar series, Institute of International and European Law, University of Goettingen, 4 Apr. 2011, Goettingen (Germany), Military intervention in Libya and international law (in German)
- Max Weber Lustrum Conference, European University Institute (EUI), 8–10 June 2011, Florence (Italy), Responsibility to protect: is there an emerging legal standard in international law?
- Conference on Shared Responsibility in International Law, Amsterdam University, 17-18 Nov. 2011, Amsterdam (the Netherlands), Shared responsibility for the prevention of genocide?
- Secrecy, National Security and the Vindication of Constitutional Law, International Association of Constitutional Law (Research Group on Constitutional Responses to Terrorism), Workshop at Bocconi University, 1–2 Dec. 2011, Milan (Italy), Secrecy vs. openness: counterterrorism and the role of the German Federal Constitutional Court
- Workshop on human rights in the armed forces, organized by the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) in cooperation with “Amparo” (Tajik Non-governmental organization), May 2012, Dushanbe (Tajikistan), delivering presentations on human rights protection in the armed forces, presented and discussed a Handbook on Human Rights of Armed Forces Personnel (OSCE/ODIHR)
- Workshops and seminars on the protection of the rights of women, children and disabled persons, since September 2012, Bishkek, Osh and other Kyrgyz cities and provinces, delivering presentations on fair trial standards, judicial independence and impartiality and other related topics
- International Law Association (ILA) Regional Conference 2013, Imperium Juris: Governance, Trade, Resources, 29–31 Aug. 2013, Cape Sounion, Athens (Greece), Shared responsibility for water in Central Asia
- Max Weber Postdoctoral Fellowship at the EUI (2008–2009)
- Visiting fellow at the EUI (2009–2010)
- DAAD Fellowship (1999–2000)
- Publication grant by the Karl Theodor Molinari Foundation affiliated with the Germany army (Bildungswerk des Deutschen Bundeswehrverbandes) (2007)
- Several conference participation and presentation grants
European Society of International Law
Member of the Research Group on Constitutional Responses to Terrorism, International Association of Constitutional Law
Member of the EUI Alumni
Member of Consultancy Roster, Human Rights and Anti-terrorism Program, OSCE/ODIHR
Member of Consultancy Roster, Fair Trial Digest, OSCE/ODIHR
Senior Research Associate, Georgian Institute of State and Law