Head of Projects
Other Activities and Research Interests
International Humanitarian Law, Constitutional Law
Professional and Academic Background
Since 2/2018 Head of Projects, Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law
10/2017–1/2018 Country Manager, Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law
7/2017–10/2017 Project Coordinator South East Europe and Ukraine, Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund (ASB)
6/2015–6/2017 Country Manager, Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law
4/2014–6/2017 Research Fellow, Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law
9/2011–3/2014 Country Representative in Afghanistan for Caritas Germany
6/2011 Consultancy for Building Bridges to the Future in Indonesia
4/2009–5/2011 Head of Office for Aceh Mission of Caritas Germany (Indonesia)
11/2007–3/2009 Programme Coordinator for Aceh Mission of Caritas Germany (Indonesia)
11/2006–9/2007 Associate Field/Protection Officer for UNHCR Mission (Kosovo)
7–11/2007 Research Associate for the Institute for International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict (IFHV) of the Ruhr-University Bochum (Germany)
1/2004–2/2006 Legal Clerkship and Second State Examination in Law at the District Court in Bochum (Germany) including placements at the Special Court for Sierra Leone, the German Development Ministry, a civil law court and the public prosecution
9/2002–10/2003 MA in International Humanitarian Action at Ruhr-University Bochum (Germany) and Uppsala University (Sweden)
5/2001 First State Examination in Law at Ruhr-University Bochum (Germany)
9/1997–6/1998 Diploma in English Law, University of Birmingham (United Kingdom)
10/1995–5/2001 Studies of Law, Ruhr-University Bochum (Germany)
- Aceh nach Tsunami und Konflikt: Die ungleiche Verteilung internationaler Hilfe, in: "Vom Wiederaufbau bis zur Einführung der Scharia", edited by Basilisa Dengen and Alex Flor, regiospectra Verlag, Berlin 2017, pp 113-126.
- Ian Hurd, After Anarchy – Legitimacy & Power in the United Nations Security Council (book review), Humanitäres Völkerrecht-Informationsschriften/The Journal of International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict, Vol 21, Issue 3/2008, pp 196–198.
- VIII. Humanitärer Kongress, Berlin. (with Rebekka Bernholt), Humanitäres Völkerrecht-Informationsschriften/The Journal of International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict, Vol 20, Issue 4/2007, pp 250–253.
- Engaging with the people – Outreach at the Special Court for Sierra Leone, Humanitäres Völkerrecht-Informationsschriften/The Journal of International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict, Vol 19, Issue 3/2006, pp 234–240.
- The obligation of the Government of Sierra Leone to disseminate knowledge of International Humanitarian Law (with Andreas v. Block-Schlesier), Humanitäres Völkerrecht-Informationsschriften/ The Journal of International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict, Vol 19, Issue 3/2006, pp 226–233.
Presentations, Lectures and Conferences
- 23 Jun. 2015 Panel discussion: “Neue Konflikte, neue Verantwortung? Die deutsche Krisenpolitik und ihre Instrumente auf dem Prüfstand”, University of Heidelberg (Germany)
- 24 Feb. 2017 NOHA Guest Lecture Cycle 2016/2017, presentation “Humanitarian Access in Armed Conflict - Theory and Practice in Afghanistan", Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany
- 22 Feb. 2016 NOHA Guest Lecture Cycle 2015/2016, presentation “Protection of Civilians in Afghanistan - Humanitarian Access in Theory and Practice, Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany
- 16 Dec. 2015 NIPPON ITLOS Fellows Traineeship Unit “Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict – Humanitarian Access and Reparations” jointly with Dr. Elisa Novic, Heidelberg, Germany
- 28 Oct. 2014 NOHA Guest Lecture Cycle 2014/2015, presentation “Humanitarian Access in Afghanistan: Merely a Question of IHL and the Humanitarian Principles?”, Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany
Participation in Conferences
- 12–14 Sept. 2014 International Conference: Civilian and Strategic? Germany’s Afghanistan Policy after the Military Withdrawal, presentation “Conference Review: Which initiatives should Germany bring into the Tokyo Process?”, and panelist in closing discussion “Civil and Strategic?! How can the German Afghanistan policy establish clear and longterm objectives?”, Evangelische Akademie Loccum in cooperation with Konrad Adenauer Foundation, Loccum, Germany
7/2015 Diploma from the Rhodes Academy of Oceans Law and Policy
2004 – 2005 Chairperson of the Staff Council for Legal Trainees at the District Court, Bochum (Germany)