Research Fellow (Middle East and North Africa)
Other Activities and Research Interests
Comparative Constitutional Law, Islamic Law and Islamic Jurisprudence, Modern Arab Legal and Constitutional Systems, Legal Pluralism, Human Rights, Judiciary and Judicial Institutions, Elections
Professional and Academic Background
Since 9/2016 Research Fellow, Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law
5/2015 – 5/2016 Constitutional & Legal Expert, United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), Baghdad (Iraq)
Since 5/2015 Judge, On Leave, Egyptian Judiciary (Egypt)
2/2002 – 4/2015 Judge, various Courts and Judicial Institutions, Egyptian Judiciary (Egypt)
Since 1/2013 Nonresident Fellow, The Atlantic Council's Rafik Hariri Centre for the Middle East
7/2014 – 8/2014 Fellow, The Draper Hills Summer Fellows Program, Centre on Democracy, Development, and the Rule of Law (CDDRL), Stanford University (USA)
3/2013 Fellow, U.S.-Middle East Partnerhsip (MEPI) Program, International Judicial Academy, Washington, D.C. (USA)
Since 2013 Constitutional & Legal Consultant, International Organisations including UNDP, UN & International IDEA
1/2012 – 4/2012 Internship, Project on Middle East Democracy (POMED), Washington, D.C. (USA)
8/2011 – 7/2012 Fellow, Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program, American University Washington College of Law AUWCL, Washington, D.C. (USA)
6/2011 – 7/2011 Fellow, Hubert Humphrey Academic Training Program, University of California, Davis (UCD) (USA)
9/2006 – 7/2008 Islamic Studies Diploma, High Institute for Islamic Studies, Cairo (Egypt)
8/2000 – 8/2002 Master of Laws (LL.M.), Cairo University’s Law School (Egypt)
6/2000 – 2/2002 Lawyer, Ahmad Aly Law Firm, Cairo (Egypt)
1996 – 2000 Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Cairo University’s Law School (English Section) (Egypt)
Islam and Sharia Law. Historical, Constitutional and Political Context in Egypt, The Atlantic Council's Rafik Hariri Centre for the Middle East, May 2016. Link
- Presentation on Judicial Accountability at "Geneva Forum 2015 on Judicial Accountability, the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ)", Geneva/Switzerland, December 2015.
- Presentation on the "Egyptian Judiciary Organization" (paper) at "Law and Society After 2011", American University in Cairo/Egypt, November 2015.
- Presentation on "Reforming Institutions; the Egyptian Judiciary as a case study" (paper) in four workshops in the course of a reserarch project on "Reforming the Arab State Institutions", organised by Arab Forum for Alternatives (AFA- Egypt) and International Development Research Centre (IDRC-Canada), Cairo/Egypt, Amman/Jordan, Beirut/Lebanon, Tunis/Tunisia, February 2014 until September 2015.
- Presentation on case studies from Arab experiences at "Interim Constitutions in Post-Conflict Settings", Old College, Edinburgh/United Kingdom, hosted by International IDEA, and the Edinburgh Centre for Constitutional Law in association with the Global Justice Academy, University of Edinburgh, December 2014.
- Presentation on case studies from Arab experiences at "The Judiciary and Constitutional Transitions", International IDEA and the International Development Law Organization, The Hague/The Netherlands, November 2014.
- Presentation on case studies from Arab experiences at "Mechanisms for Protecting and enforcing the Economic, Political and Social Rights",The Third annual conference for the Arab Association for Constitutional Law, Beirut/Lebanon. October 2014.
- Presentation on Egypt's 2014 Presidential Elections at "The Big Picture: Egypt's Presidential Elections and its Future", panel organised by Atlantic Council's Rafik Hariri Centre for the Middle East, Washington, DC/USA, May 2014.
- "The Revolution, the Judiciary, and Transitional Justice in Egypt " (paper) at "Transformations. Middle East Legal Studies Seminar (MELSS)", organised annually by Yale Law School. New Haven, Connecticut/USA, January 2014.
- Presentation on The role of the Egyptian Supreme Constitutional Court (SCC) at "Constitutional Courts and Democratic Transformations in the Arab World", The second annual conference for the Arab Association for Constitutional Law, Rabat/Morocco, December 2013.
- Presentation on Egypt’s legal, electoral, and constitutional transformations at "The State of the Arab Transitions", Atlantic Council's Rafik Hariri Center for the Middle East, Tunis/Tunisia, October 2013.
- Presentation on case studies from Arab experiences at "Building Democracy on the Ashes of Autocracy: The way Ahead for Arab Countries in Transition", RAND Corporation & the International Strategic Research Organization (USAK), Istanbul/Turkey, April 2013.
- Presentation on Egypt at "The Arab Spring Continued: The Promise of Change and Sources of Resistance", Middle East Legal Studies Seminar MELSS, organised annually by Yale Law School. Rabat/Morocco, January 2013.
- Presentation on case studies from Arab experiences at Integrating the Islamic/Middle East law religious tradition in a 21st century constitution, roundtable organised by Right to Nonviolence (Beirut) with the support of National Endowment for Democracy (NED), Tunis/Tunisia, January 2013.
- Arab Association for Constitutional Law, AACL
- Elected Board Member for AACL, Beirut (Lebanon), October 2014
- Egyptian American Rule of Law Association, EARLA
- Participation in discussions and drafting process as a Constitutional expert in the works of the 50 [members] Committee tasked with writing the 2014 draft Constitution of Egypt
- Contributing author in Arabic and English to online articles published by The Atlantic Council's Rafik Hariri Center for the Middle East and some other publishing outlets
- Lectured at Cairo University's Law School in a course based on Egyptian Law, bringing practical cases from the Court to the class room, 2007/2009