Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law
Position: Legal Consultant (m/f/d)
Project: Tajikistan and Uzbekistan
Term: ´ Fixed term (6 months), with possibility of extension
Estimated starting date: As soon as possible
Closing date for applications: 05.12.2022
The Max Planck Foundation provides technical legal assistance to developing countries, particularly to countries in transition or conflict (see: https://www.mpfpr.de/). Through legal consulting and legal capacity building activities, it assists states endeavouring to develop their legal systems and strengthen their institutions. The Foundation also provides legal expertise to the responsible institutions and legal professionals with the aim of enabling them to autonomously carry out necessary changes.
The Legal Consultant will conduct research in the fields of international human rights law and counterterrorism law and their application in the Tajik legal system. S/he will support the team in mapping Tajik agency and civil society strategies and practices as they relate to prosecution, rehabilitation, and reintegration of returning foreign fighters and their families. Furthermore, s/he will support the team in liaising with the aforementioned state agencies and civil society organisations.
Under the supervision of the Head of Project, the successful candidate shall:
- identify potential project partners and serve as their local point of contact;
- conduct legal research in the fields of international human rights law and counterterrorism law;
- contribute to administrative and logistical aspects of project implementation.
Education and Professional Experience
- Degree in domestic Tajik law;
- Located in Tajikistan;
- Ability to collect and analyse legal sources;
- Ability to work with a wide range of high-level project partners.
- Knowledge in the areas of international human rights law and the law applicable to counterterrorism;
- Ideally, demonstrable experience relevant to the project;
- Experience implementing capacity building workshops for legal professionals, public servants, and members of civil society.
- Fluency (written and oral) in English, Russian, and Tajik required.
Other Skills & Competencies
- Flexibility, including demonstrated ability to work under time pressure, to adapt to changing work and project circumstances and to respond to unforeseen developments;
- Excellent organisational skills, i.e., skilled in setting priorities and meeting deadlines, and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Computer literacy skills with standard software.
Selected candidates will be invited for an interview.
The Max Planck Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified men and women, including those with disabilities, to apply.
All positions are contingent upon funding.
Please apply through our online application portal (https://www.mpfpr.de/careers/) by stating your earliest possible starting date by 05.12.22.
To apply for this job please visit www.mpfpr.de.