Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law
The Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law is looking to fill a position for a Local Legal Consultant in the Sri Lanka project.
Position: Local Legal Consultant (f/m/d)
Project: Sri Lanka
Location: Sri Lanka
Term: Fixed term
Estimated starting date: As soon as possible
Closing date for applications: 29 February 2024
At the core of the Max Planck Foundation’s mission stands the provision of technical legal assistance to our partner countries (see: https://www.mpfpr.de/). Through legal consulting and capacity building activities, the Foundation assists states endeavouring to develop their legal systems and strengthen their institutions. The Foundation also provides legal expertise to the responsible institutions and legal professionals with the aim of enabling them to autonomously carry out necessary changes.
The Local Legal Consultant will implement project activities, including facilitating workshops; giving presentations on subject matters relating to human rights law, public and constitutional law, judicial and legal ethics and international law, and their implementation in the Sri Lankan legal system; drafting workshop materials; and undertaking legal research.
Under the supervision of a Managing Director/ the Head of Project, the successful candidate shall:
- undertake advanced legal research;
- draft training materials, including manuals;
- organise and implement legal training workshops for state actors, legal personnel and civil society;
- liaise with and attend meetings with project partners;
- provide technical legal advice and assistance to project partners;
- frequently travel within Sri Lanka to implement activities and liaise with local partners;
- potential travels to other South Asian countries for project implementation;
- contribute to administrative and logistical aspects of project implementation; and
- carry out project reporting, monitoring and evaluation tasks.
Education and Professional Experience
- Advanced degree in Law (LL.M; PhD);
- Extensive knowledge in the area of public law, including constitutional law and human rights law, at the domestic and international levels;
- Ideally 2+ years of demonstrable experience relevant to the project;
- Ability to deliver high-level academic work; and
- Excellent knowledge of Sri Lanka and its legal system.
- Experience in implementing capacity building workshops for legal personnel, state and civil society actors.
- Fluency (written and oral) in English required;
- Knowledge of Sinhala and/or Tamil desirable.
Other Skills & Competencies
- Strong interpersonal skills in a multi-cultural environment, including cultural awareness, excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently, as well as in a team setting;
- Flexibility, including demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to adapt to changing work and project circumstances and respond to unforeseen developments;
- Excellent organisational skills, i.e. skilled in setting priorities and meeting deadlines, and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to present high-level academic work to experts in a service-orientated manner; and
- Computer literacy skills with standard software.
Assessment of qualified candidates will include an interview.
The Max Planck Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified men and women, including those with disabilities, to apply.
Please apply through our online application portal (https://www.mpfpr.de/careers) stating your earliest possible starting date (subject: ”Legal Consultant-Sri Lanka”) by 29 February 2024.