Dr Mohammud A Hussien, LLM
Senior Research Fellow
Other Activities and Research Interests
Constitutional Law, Federalism, Legal Pluralism, Public International Law, Peace-Building, Transitional Justice, African Peace, Security and Human Rights System
Since 9/2017 Senior Research Fellow, Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law
7/2017–8/2017 Consultant, Max Plank Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law, Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
7/2012–6/2016 Deputy Director, School of Diplomacy and International Relations, Ethiopian Civil Service University, Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
7/2011–6/2017 Assistant Professor of International Law, Ethiopian Civil Service University, Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
12/2011–8/2015 Coordinator at the Institute of Federal and Legal Studies of the Academic Partnership Project between the University of Graz, Ethiopian Civil Service University and Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
9/2007–6/2011 Research Assistant to Prof. Wolfgang Benedek on African Affairs, University of Graz (Austria)
6/2011 PhD, International Law of Peace and Security, Law Faculty of the University of Graz (Austria)
6/1999 Masters in Law (LLM), Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh (India)
6/1997 Bachelor in Law (LLB), Ethiopian Civil Service University, Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
- The Intricate Road to Development: Government Development Strategies in the Pastoral Areas of the Horn of Africa (eds together with Yohannes Aberra), Institute for Peace and Security Studies, Addis Ababa University, 2015.
- The Interplay between Human Security, Human Rights and Good-Governance in Ethiopian and Wider African Context. In: Benedek, Wolfgang et al. (eds), Ethiopian and Wider African Perspectives on Human Rights and Good Governance, NW Verlag, 2014, pp 231–252.
- From AMIB to AMISOM: Need for Institutional Clarity in African Peace and Security Architecture, Institute of Security Studies, Pretoria, ISS Paper No 239, September 2012.
- From State to Human Security: Institutionalizing and Operationalizing Human Security in Africa. In: Benedek, Wolfgang/Kettemann, Matthias C/Möstl, Markus (eds), Mainstreaming Human Security in Peace Operations and Crisis Management, Policies Problems Potential, Routledge, 2010.
- The Legal Status of the Communal Landholding System in Ethiopia: The Case of Ethiopian Pastoralists, International Journal on Minority and Group Rights, Volume 14, No 1/2007, Raul Wallenberg Institute of Human Rights, Sweden, pp 85–125.
- Institute of Security Studies Expert Roundtable Conference on State of the Union 2030: Security Threats and Responses, Kampala, (Uganda), 21–22 July 2009. Presentation of research findings on the institutional murkiness of the African Union’s peace and security system
- African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights Meeting of the Working Group on African Indigenous & Tribal Peoples, Banjul (The Gambia), 13–27 May 2009. Presenter of country report of Ethiopia
- The First African Ombudsman and Mediators Association (AOMA) and African Union Commission (AUC) Bilateral Conference and AOMA General Assembly, African Union Headquarter, Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), 4 November 2014. Presentation on Ethiopian experience on the role of good governance to sustainable development, constitutional perspective
- Open Day of AU Eastern African Standby Force, 14 November 2014, Defence Academy, Addis Ababa, Keynote Speaker
- Conference on Federalism on Somalia, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 23–25 October 2014. Rapporteur of the Conference and Editor of the Conference Proceeding
- 7/2016–7/2017 Managing Editor, African Journal of Leadership and Development, Ethiopian Civil Service University
- Founding Member of the Editorial Board (since 7/2016) of the African Journal of Leadership and Development, Ethiopian Civil Service University
- 5/2014–6/2017 Member of the Senate Standing Committee for Academic Promotion, Ethiopian Civil Service University
- 10/2016–6/17 Member of the Senate Standing Committee for Research and Publication, Ethiopian Civil Service University
- 3/2000–8/2008 Board Member to MELCA on Environmental and Traditional Community Rights
- 4/2004–6/2006 Board Member of the Organization for Social Justice Ethiopia (NGO)
- Full Scholarship to pursue PhD studies in International Law at Law School of Gray University by the Austrian Development Cooperation
- Certificate of Recognition by Ethiopia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2017