Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law
(Senior) Research Fellows (m/f/d) with Specialisation in (Comparative) Constitutional Law
Location: Max Planck Foundation Office in Heidelberg, Germany
Term: Fixed term (1 year), with possibility of extension
Estimated start date: As soon as possible
Closing date for applications: 08.11.2020
At the core of the Max Planck Foundation’s mission stands the provision of technical legal assistance to developing countries, particularly to countries in transition or conflict (see: https://www.mpfpr.de/). Through legal consulting and legal capacity building activities, the Foundation assists States endeavouring to develop their legal systems and strengthen their institutions. The Foundation also provides legal expertise to the responsible institutions and legal professionals with the aim of enabling them to autonomously carry out necessary changes.
The Research Fellow(s) will implement project activities, including facilitating workshops and giving presentations on Comparative Constitutional Law and Public International Law, including Human Rights Law and its implementation at the domestic level.
Under the supervision of a Managing Director/ the Head of Project, successful candidate(s) shall:
- undertake advanced legal research;
- draft training materials, including manuals;
- organise and implement legal training workshops for state actors, legal personnel and civil society;
- provide technical legal advice and assistance to project partners;
- frequently travel to Sudan to implement activities and liaise with local partners;
- contribute to administrative and logistical aspects of project implementation and
- carry out project reporting, monitoring and evaluation tasks.
Education and Professional Experience
- Advanced degree in Law (LLM; PhD);
- Extensive knowledge in the area of Comparative Constitutional and Public International Law;
- Ideally 2+ years demonstrable experience relevant to the project;
- Ability to deliver high-level academic work.
- Practical regional or country experience in Sudan;
- Experience implementing capacity building workshops for legal personnel, state and civil society actors.
- Fluency (written and oral) in English and Arabic, including legal Arabic,
Other Skills & Competencies
- Strong interpersonal skills in a multi-cultural environment, including cultural awareness, excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently, as well as in a team setting;
- Flexibility, including demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to adapt to changing work and project circumstances and to respond to unforeseen developments;
- Excellent organisational skills, i.e. skilled in setting priorities and meeting deadlines, and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to present high-level academic work to experts in a service-orientated manner;
- Willingness to be based in Heidelberg, Germany, for the period of the contract;
- Computer literacy skills with standard software.
Assessment of qualified candidates will include a competency-based test and one interview.
The Max Planck Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified men and women, including those with disabilities, to apply.
Only candidates eligible for a valid residence and work permit in Germany will be taken into consideration. The Foundation will assist with visa application process.
All positions are contingent upon funding.
Research Fellows are based in Heidelberg, Germany, with frequent travels to the region.
Remuneration will be based on the Collective Agreement on Public Service Wages under German Law (Tarifvertrag des Öffentlichen Dienstes – TVöD).
Please apply through our online application portal and also include your earliest possible starting date.
Deadline: 8 November 2020.
To apply for this job please visit www.mpfpr.de.