Federalism Training on Intergovernmental Revenue Sharing and Transfer Systems
On 29 and 31 October 2020, the Max Planck Foundation held the final federalism training for government officials in Hirshabelle. The training was the eighth federalism training of the training-of-trainers workshop programme in Hirshabelle under the German Federal Foreign Office funded project Capacity Building and Legal Advice on Political Decentralisation and Federalism in Somalia.
The training included a presentation from a comparative perspective, a practical working group assignment, and a plenary discussion on the topic Intergovernmental Revenue Sharing and Transfer Systems. In line with COVID-19 physical distancing measures in Hirshabelle, the participants were divided into two groups, one attending the training on 29 October, and the other on 31 October.
The federalism training programme in Hirshabelle from 2019 to 2020 included the following topics:
- Horizontal Separation of Powers;
- Vertical Separation of Powers;
- Natural Resource Sharing in Federal Systems;
- Federal Member States’ Participation in Foreign Affairs;
- Multi-level Elections;
- Multi-level Political Party Organisation;
- Establishment of Local Councils and Local Democracy;
- Intergovernmental Revenue Sharing and Transfer Systems.
The participants appreciated the programme and requested additional federalism trainings in the future.