The Foundation concludes Federalism Training Programme in Galmudug
On 7 and 8 November 2020, the Max Planck Foundation held the final federalism training for government officials in Galmudug. The training was the eighth federalism training in Galmudug under the German Federal Foreign Office funded project Capacity Building and Legal Advice on Political Decentralisation and Federalism in Somalia.
The training included a presentation from a comparative perspective, a practical working group assignment, and a plenary discussion on the topic Public Land and Infrastructure Management and Dispute Resolution in Federal Systems. In line with COVID-19 physical distancing measures in Galmudug, the participants were divided into two groups, one attending the training on Saturday, and the other on Sunday.
The federalism training programme in Galmudug from 2019 to 2020 included the following topics:
- Representation of Member States in Central Decision-Making;
- Multi-Level Elections;
- Federal Member State Constitutions;
- Local Government in Federal Systems;
- Establishment of Local Councils and Local Democracy;
- Organization of the Education Sector in Federal Systems;
- Policing in Federal Systems;
- Public Land and Infrastructure Management and Dispute Resolution in Federal Systems.
The programme was well-received in Galmudug and participants asked for more training to be held in the future.